20100413

Label Interrogation: SKROT UP

I came across an interesting tape label the other day. Looked kinda fresh, kinda active and definitely interesting. Releases seemed fantastic and the sample tracks at the myspace page totally ruled. I still had some of my easter bonus left, so without a second thought i ordered some. After a couple of days, i got them in the mail. Opened the "safety belt" and an illustrated dark deep dreamy nightmare had just begun. I have entered the world of Skrot Up tapes.

Below is an interview with the people behind Skrot Up.












You are stating that your residence is in Copenhagen but also in Seattle as well. How's that happening?

Morten: We handle most of the distribution in the US ourselves and Seattle is where it happens from. Copenhagen covers Europe and the rest of the world. The Seattle part is not so much a physical residence, but meant to symbolize a connection with people who help us out and support the label. I'll have to add Houston next time, since we're working alot with FLA Records & Tapes, as well. They're very professional and have helped us out alot. Especially James and Tara.


Your roster is quite amazing. Even if most of the bands are kinda new and spread around the globe, i get the impression that you're promoting a scene somewhat w/ a specific style.

Morten: I guess most of the bands have something in common, one way or another, but it's not really a conscious notion, that makes me pay attention to a band.


I guess i've put my optimism way mildly and been a little narrative. You do endorse in ominous beats & late-night bedroom confessions though, don't you? Do you prefer songs more than improvisation?

Morten: It's not really a preference, but I understand your point. I guess a majority of the bands are into songs, more than improvisation, at least on tape and record. I've seen a few of them live and here improvisation plays a much bigger part of the music, though. Still, Puberty, Excepter, Thetlvmth, Extra Sexes, Florene, JMDC + a few more all apply improvisational tactics in one way or another, even if they edit the music and add some sort of propulsiveness to the tracks before releasing them.


How the fuck did you manage to find all those similar tunes?

Morten: I think what draws us to these particular sounds is the energy and somewhat dark nature of the approach, that the bands share in one way or another. Or, that they all like to sample answering machine messages. I don't see the point of getting too specific on the subject, because it often starts with goose bumps and a weird tickling sensation when I come across something I like, and not a conscious marketing type strategy, like hmmm, these cats would fit on our label because they do this or that in a certain way. Rationalizing takes the fun out of it.

Thomas: I would feel really odd only releasing one kind of genre. I listen to a wide variety of music, so it would be difficult to stick to one genre. Also we are two different people choosing the music. We have some kind of "base" in our taste, but it also varies and I see that as a positive thing. We dont have to agree 100% about a release. Unless I really hate it I usually go along with it. I don't know how Morten feels about what I came up with, but I dont think he has hated any of it :-) So far I'm into everything we have released.

Morten: True, I haven't hated any of it.


Are you currently accepting demos?

Morten: A few of the releases came out of people contacting us, but we do not have a demo policy. People write us and we answer them (usually).

Thomas: Feel free to send us good shit!


Wanna tell me some things about the artwork?

Morten: Let me start with the posters: We're lucky to be friends with Copenhagen's finest screen-print artist. He used to run the Smittekilde imprint and I asked him if he could help us out, when we were putting together the FNU Ronnies and Blood! releases, and we've been working together since. The actual artwork for the posters is designed by the bands and then we consult him and exploit his expertise in return for MDF-furniture and magnetic back rubs. The artwork for most of the releases is designed by the bands themselves. I put together a couple of them myself. Some people have commented on the unison look of the artwork, but it's coincidental.


Who's the girl in your logo? It looks like the girl from Ringu. Also, what Skrot Up really means?

Thomas: It's Michael Jackson.

Morten: I found the picture in a book about "cult" cinema from the 60/70s and combined the two faces you see in the logo. Before "fuck you" was adopted into the Danish language, people here liked to say "skraat op" alot. It's means something like "up your's", or " I disagree strongly with your persona". We changed the letters a bit, to make it look better and less Danish.

Thomas: As Morten says "Skrot Up" means fuck you, but "skrot" also means trash or junk in Danish. So we say "fuck you, we're putting the trash up to surface"


Do you plan on releasing more vinyl in the future? Or CDs?

Morten: More of everything, basically. Except CDs. Vinyl is of course a lot more expensive than doing tapes, but we do have some records in the works, and a slew of tapes, as well.

Thomas: Hopefully we also agree on an art book someday:-) But the problem is that Morten has 90% more energy than me, so it probably won't happen unless we get a shit load of money and Morten comes around to it.

Morten: Look out for a Skrot Up coffeetable/book in one in 2014.

____________________________________________

Listen and buy

1 comment:

  1. hey, Lots of vids from FLA/ Skrot Up SXSW Showcase 2010 Here:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/kidromancez#p/u

    go to UPLOADS...peace.

    ReplyDelete